This is one of those homemade comfort foods from my childhood. 'Nuff said.
2 quarts water
1(8-ounce) package elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
¾ cup fresh bread crumbs or saltine cracker crumbs
1 small onion, minced
1 tablespoon flour
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
⅛ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1½ cups milk
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a 3-quart saucepan, heat to boiling water and 1 teaspoon salt. Add macaroni; cook until tender but firm; drain. Grease 2-quart baking dish. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In 1-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter or margarine; add bread or cracker crumbs and toss to coat; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining butter; add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Blend in flour, mustard, pepper and salt. Stir in milk; cook, stirring, until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese.
- Mix sauce with macaroni and pour into baking dish.
- Sprinkle crumb mixture over top. Bake in over 20 - 25 minutes.